Oracle Database Management
In many infrastructures, a database server (or a cluster) supports multiple front-end servers. Consequently, a performance bottleneck or failure of a database server can impact the performance of a number of services that rely on it. Effective database management requires a great deal of expertise, and Oracle monitoring tools are critical for successful IT service delivery. eG Enterprise helps you ensure top performance for a consistent user experience, including:
- Different database caches are tuned to service requests fast
- Servers have enough buffers to perform and sort operations in memory rather than on disk
- Database accesses are evenly distributed across the different datafiles, etc.
- Databases are tuned, through understanding of the behavior of applications using the database - e.g., whether queries are optimal, whether the locking behavior of the application is normal, and more
eG Enterprise for Oracle Database Monitoring
eG Enterprise includes extensive monitoring capabilities for Oracle databases. A single eG monitoring agent is capable of monitoring all of the Oracle database instances being executed on a system. Monitoring of the Oracle database instances is performed non-intrusively, with administrators having the option of configuring whether the monitoring is to be performed in an agent-based or agentless manner.
eG Enterprise's 100% web-based architecture, allows geographically distributed Oracle database servers to be managed from a central manager. Administrators can view and analyze the performance of their Oracle database servers in real-time over the web. To avoid overwhelming the administrator with a ton of performance data, eG's Oracle monitor includes a specialized model for an Oracle database server. By viewing the layer model of an Oracle database server, an administrator can quickly determine which layer(s) of the database server is causing a problem.
Oracle monitoring in eG Enterprise: A layer model of an Oracle database
Oracle reports: A service level report of an Oracle database servers availability
What the eG's Oracle Database Monitoring Tools Reveal
|Database service monitoring
- Is the Oracle database server available for servicing requests and what is the response time for a typical request?
- How many users are accessing the Oracle database currently?
- Who are the active users?
- What are the current top 10 SQL queries in terms of resource utilization?
- What is the commit and rollback behavior of the applications using the Oracle database?
|Alert log monitoring
- Have there been any recent errors/events in the Oracle alert log? What are they?
|Rollback segment monitoring
- Is there heavy contention for the rollback segments?
|Lock and latch monitoring
- Is there contention for locks?
- Is a specific application holding a lock for a long time? Which lock(s) are these?
- Are the library cache, dictionary cache, and the data buffer cache adequately sized?
|Full table scan monitoring
- Is there any full table scan happening on the Oracle database server? If so, how frequently?
- Are any of the tablespaces reaching their storage capacity?
- Is the load adequately balanced across the tablespaces?
|Hot file monitoring
- Is the disk I/O (read/write) being balanced across the datafiles or is there a particular hot datafile that is handling all the requests?
|Redo log monitoring
- Is the Oracle redo-log buffer sufficiently sized, or is there a large number of requests waiting for redo log space?
- Is there any invalid object in the database? Which ones?
- Which objects have been recently modified and when?
- Are there objects that have reached their maximum extent? Which ones are these?
- Generates proactive, real-time alerts based on hundreds of Oracle database statistics collected and analyzed in real-time
- Enables anytime, anywhere Oracle database monitoring and reporting of an IT infrastructure from any web browser
- Facilitates effective allocation of operations staff and optimization of Oracle database experts
- Offers integrated monitoring of the entire IT infrastructure including network, server, applications, and databases, and cross-correlation for bottleneck identification and analysis
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic performance monitor
- Only eG Enterprise automatically provides actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate
- Get visibility across every tier of the physical and virtual infrastructure
- Automate the identification of performance issues with patented correlation-intelligence technology
- Pinpoint where urgent problems originate and exactly what tiers and processes are being affected
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
“With eG Innovations, we are reducing system maintenance and support costs, avoiding incremental IT spending and eliminating system downtime across the hospital. Performance and prediction reports help us optimize IT spending and save $100,000 per year.”
Manager, ICT GHZ
“We can now quickly identify root causes of incidents, resolving them before users are impacted. Automatic prioritization and categorization of alerts helps us better focus on the important issues and prioritize our resources accordingly.”
Senior Consultant, C5 Alliance
“eG Innovations delivers a robust, reliable and extremely valuable solution to deliver maximum uptime and user satisfaction. Pre-emptive alerting helps us to address performance issues immediately before they affect system and application availability.”
Senior Manager, Allscripts