There are several pre-requisites for an eG agent to be able to monitor a Hyper-V server and the guest VMs hosted on it.
- The eG agent on the root partition should be able to communicate with the eG manager port (default is 7077).
The Integration Services component should be installed on every VM to be monitored, so that the IP address of the VMs is discovered; also, the IP address should be resolvable in DNS.
- The eG agent can automatically discover the IP address of the Windows VMs only; for Linux VMs, only the name of the VM will be discovered and not its IP address.
- If multiple IP addresses are configured on a single Windows VM, the eG agent will discover only one of the IP addresses and not all of them.
The Integration Services component provides a Key/Value Pair Exchange script, which the eG agent uses for discovering the IP addresses of the VMs on the Hyper-V host. Since this script is supported only on specific Windows versions, the eG agent can discover the IP address of the VMs executing on those versions only. The supported Windows versions are as follows:
- Windows Server 2008 64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 x86
- Windows Server 2003 x64 with SP2
- Windows 2000 Server with SP4
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4
- Windows Vista x64 with SP1
- Windows Vista x86 with SP1
- Windows XP x86 with SP2/SP3
- Windows XP x64 with SP2
To obtain the “inside view” of Windows VMs without using the ‘eG VM Agent’, the following will have to be performed:
- The admin$ share should be enabled for all Windows virtual guests being monitored and the administrative account must have permissions to this share drive. Refer to for a step-by-step procedure to achieve this.
- All “inside view” tests run by the eG agent should be configured with the credentials of a domain administrator.
- Set the inside view using flag for all the “inside view” tests to Remote connection to VM (Windows).
To obtain the “inside view” of Windows VMs using the ‘eG VM Agent’, follow the steps given below:
- Install the eG VM Agent on every Windows VM to be monitored; the procedure for installing the eG VM Agent are detailed in of this document.
- Enable the eG agent to communicate with the port at which the eG VM Agent listens (the default port is 60001).
- Set the inside view using flag for all the “inside view” tests to eG VM Agent (Windows).