Discovering Nutanix Acropolis
The eG manager is capable of automatically discovering the Nutanix environment via the Nutanix Prism. To configure this discovery, do the following:
- Login to the eG administrative interface.
- Follow the Components -> Discovery menu sequence in the Admin tile menu.
In the DISCOVERY tree that appears next, expand the Settings sub-node of the Manager Discovery node, and select the Virtual Platforms node within. The right panel will then change to display the MANAGER DISCOVERY - VIRTUAL PLATFORM SETTINGS page.
Figure 1 : Adding a Nutanix Prism for discovery
- To discover a Nutanix Acropolis server / VDI server, from the Choose a virtual platform to discover drop-down, select Nutanix Acropolis or Nutanix Acropolis VDI (as the case may be).
- If the Nutanix Acropolis server has to be discovered using a new Nutanix Prism, you will first need to add the Nutanix Prism to the eG Enterprise system. For that, select the Add new Nutanix Prism option from the What action would you like to perform? drop-down.
Then, specify the following in the Nutanix Prism Preferences section:
- In the Nutanix Prism Identity text box, specify the IP or hostname of the Nutanix Prism that you want to use for discovery.
- If the Prism being added is SSL-enabled, then set the SSL flag to Yes.
- Then, enter the Web Port at which the Prism listens. By default, this is 9440.
- The eG manager can discover vSphere, Hyper-V, and Acropolis hosts using the Nutanix Prism. In addition, you can also use the Nutanix Prism to monitor the performance of the Acropolis hosts (not Hyper-V or vSphere hosts) and the VMs operating on it. If you want to use the Prism being added to only discover hypervisors (vSphere, Hyper-V, and Acropolis), then set the Discover hypervisors flag to Yes. On the other hand, if you do not want to use the Prism for discovery, but may want to use it for monitoring an Acropolis server later, then set this flag to No.
- In order to perform the discovery/monitoring, the eG manager should connect to the Prism as a user who is assigned the Viewer role. Provide the credentials of this user in the Username to connect to Nutanix Prism and Password for the user text boxes. Confirm this password by retyping it in the Confirm password for the user text box.
- Finally, click the Update button to save the changes. If the Discover hypervisors flag above is set to Yes, then clicking on Update will instantly trigger discovery.
Once discovery is triggered, all the Nutanix Acropolis servers that are managed by the Nutanix Prism will be discovered as both Nutanix Acropolis and Nutanix Acropolis VDI servers in eG.