The PostGreSQL Server Layer
Using the tests mapped to this layer, you can determine:
- Whether/not the background writer minimizes the I/O load on the server;
- How well the server handles the transaction load to it, and whether any processing pain-points can be noticed;
- Whether/ not the indexes are properly used;
- The number and names of unused indexes (if any);
- The count of sequential scans and index scans that occurred per table and the rows that were returned in the process.
Figure 1 : The tests mapped to the PostGreSQL Server layer