Pre-requisites for Monitoring Microsoft SharePoint Online
Before attempting to monitor Microsoft SharePoint Online, make sure that the following pre-requisites are fulfilled:
The eG agent should be deployed on a remote host running one of the following Windows versions:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- The Windows system hosting the remote agent should have internet connection.
- The Office 365 tenant to be monitored should not be 2FA/ MFA enabled.
- .NET 4.5 (or above) should pre-exist on the eG agent host.
- Windows Management Framework (WMF) 5.1.14 (or above) should be installed on the eG agent host
eG Enterprise provides proprietary PowerShell scripts, which you can run and have many of the pre-requisites for monitoring automatically fulfilled. These scripts and their purposes are discussed in the table below:
Automatically installs the following modules/packages that are required for monitoring SharePoint Online:
- A 64-bit version of the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant for IT Professionals RTW
- A 64-bit version of the Microsoft Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell
The eG agent runs Powershell cmdlets to pull many of the metrics for SharePoint Online. To run these cmdlets, the eG agent requires the privileges of a user who has been assigned the Service support admin and SharePoint admin roles and is vested with the View-Only Audit Logs permission. For this purpose, each test the eG agent runs on SharePoint Online should be configured with the credentials of a user who has been assigned the aforesaid role and permissions. Using this script, you can:
- Automatically create a user with the aforesaid permissions, or;
- Automatically assign these permissions to any existing user you choose
Also, to enable the eG agent to monitor the SharePoint Online service health, site usage, Message Center communications, and user activity, you need to ensure that the Microsoft Graph App is installed on Azure Active Directory (AD), with the following permissions:
This script automatically creates a Microsoft Graph app on Microsoft Azure Active Directory, auto-configured with all the permissions required for monitoring.
To know how to use these scripts, refer to Using Powershell Scripts to Fulfill Requirements for Monitoring SharePoint Online
- On the other hand, if you choose not to use the scripts above, then you have to manually fulfill each of the requirements described in the table above. To know how, refer to How to Manually Fulfill Pre-requisites for Monitoring SharePoint Online?
- To enable the eG agent to collect critical statistics on site collections, site connectivity, health score, tenant storage usage, and file operations, you need to make sure that the SharePoint Online Management Shell is installed and run on the eG agent host. You can download the installable for the SharePoint Online Management Shell from the URL: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=35588