Monitoring Synology NAS
eG Enterprise offers a specialized and dedicated monitoring model for the Synology NAS storage system that monitors the core functions and hardware components of the storage system, and proactively alerts administrators to the abnormalities in the performance of the storage system. Using these proactive alerts administrators can rectify the anomalies before users complain of any data loss.
By periodically polling the SNMP MIB of Synology NAS storage system, eG agents collect various metrics of interest relating to performance of the target storage system. Figure 4 depicts the layer model of a Synology NAS storage system.
Every layer in the Figure 4 is mapped to various tests to determine the critical statistics related to the performance of the target storage system. Using the metrics reported by the tests, administrators can find accurate answers for the following performance queries:
- What is the current health status of the storage system?
- What is the current overall temperature of the storage system?
- What is the current state of the power supply units of the storage system?
- What is the current state of the internal fan and CPU fan?
- What is the current status of each disk?
- What is the temperature of each disk?
- What is the current status of each volume?
- How well I/O reads and writes were performed on each disk?
- What is the utilization percentage of each disk?
- How well I/O reads an dwrites were performed on each volume?
- What is the utilization percentage of each volume?