ISELIN, N.J.; Oct. 6, 2010 - eG Innovations, Inc., a global supplier of business service monitoring software for virtual and physical IT infrastructures, today announced that customers of the Citrix XenDesktop® desktop virtualization solution may use eG's VDI MonitorTM monitoring service free for up to 60 days. The new "End-to-End VDI Monitoring-on-Tap" program is designed to introduce XenDesktop enterprise and service provider users to eG's comprehensive VDI monitoring and performance tracking service without cost or obligation. eG is featuring the program at its booth (#505) at Citrix Synergy Berlin, opening today.
"Virtual desktop technology is becoming mainstream and is being used to support mission-critical services in such markets as finance, healthcare, government, legal and education," said Srinivas Ramanathan, founder, president and CEO of eG Innovations. "To be effective replacements for physical desktops, VDI technology must deliver a comparable or superior experience to users. One of the key ways of ensuring this is by monitoring the virtual desktop infrastructure end-to-end, which is what the eG VDI Monitor does."
The End-to-End VDI Monitoring-on-Tap service is free for Citrix XenDesktop customers to use for any 60-day period. Once the setup is completed, customers log in to a web-based monitoring and reporting console hosted in the cloud by eG. During this period, Citrix customers will have free access to metrics, reports and alerts, and will also get up to four hours of free performance consulting services. For a nominal fee, customers can also sign up for an end of trial performance audit report baselining their infrastructure.
After this free service period, customers can choose to continue using the VDI monitoring service by paying a monthly fee or purchase the Citrix Ready certified VDI monitoring software from eG Innovations or one of its channel partners. There is no obligation to continue to use the service after the free trial.
"The End-to-End VDI Monitoring-on-Tap service is a great program that mixes industry-proven monitoring services with a really innovative Cloud delivery model that we feel customers will value," said Garry Olah, vice president of business development and strategic alliances at Citrix Systems, Inc. "The combination of XenDesktop and eG Innovations' unique business service monitoring platform - along with the 60-day trial offer - represents a valuable combination for any company deploying XenDesktop."
eG VDI Monitor Offers Powerful Capabilities
The eG VDI Monitor offers advanced monitoring, diagnosis and reporting that value-adds to the built-in administration and management capabilities built into Citrix XenDesktop 5®. These capabilities include:
- A single pane of glass for a complete end-to-end service view : The eG VDI Monitor tracks every layer of every tier of the infrastructure including the virtualization platform, network devices, storage devices, web frontend, database server, profile servers, and Active Directory.
- Automatic baselines of KPIs to enable administrators plan VDI rollouts efficiently : Time of day baselines for every tier indicate what the norms for each tier are, and any deviations from the norm are highlighted as proactive alerts to administrators.
- Correlation of performance across silos and layers to pinpoint the root-cause of problems automatically : Accurate diagnosis of problems helps administrators ensure peak service quality and low downtime.
- Deep "inside view" of each virtual desktop : Without requiring agents in each desktop, this unique capability provides details of top applications using resources inside the desktop.
- Track and correlate configuration changes with performance changes : Often a configuration change can result in performance degradation. To handle such situations, the eG VDI Monitor correlates performance changes with configuration changes, so administrators can easily detect and fix such situations.
- Report on users and sessions, not just VMs : Since the workload on a VM depends on who is logged in to it, for monitoring VDI effectively, it is important to monitor and report on users and sessions, not just VMs. The eG VDI Monitor includes includes enterprise-class reporting capabilities. Specialized reports are available for executives and operations staff comparing the performance of every VDI tier, top N reports highlighting peak usage areas, etc.
"Customers will see substantial value from this VDI monitoring service," Ramanathan said. "First, they will have unparalleled visibility into the performance of their XenDesktop infrastructure and can eliminate blind spots. Correlation across tiers will provide administrators with clear pointers to where the root-cause of problems lie. Thus, administrators will be able to rapidly troubleshoot any problems in the infrastructure and take early action to avoid potential problems. They also will be able to generate management reports on the usage and quality of the VDI service. Plus, they will access to usage patterns and trends that will be invaluable for planning future XenDesktop rollouts." According to Ramanathan, turning on the service will be hassle-free. Customers will just need to set up software agents on their critical servers, essentially a two minute task, and then log-in to the hosted monitoring console to start accessing metrics and reports.
For more information on the End-to-End VDI Monitoring service, visit https://www.eginnovations.com/vdi-virtual-desktop-monitoring or contact eG Innovations via phone: (866) 526 6700 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About eG Innovations
eG Innovations, Inc. (www.eginnovations.com) is a global provider of performance monitoring and triage solutions for both virtual and physical IT infrastructures. The company's patented technologies provide proactive monitoring of every layer of every tier in the infrastructure, thereby enabling rapid diagnosis and recovery in enterprise and service provider networks. By ensuring high availability and optimum performance of mission-critical business services, eG Innovations' solutions help enhance customers' competitive positioning, lower operational costs and optimize the performance of their infrastructures.