Citrix Provisioning Services - PVS
Citrix Provisioning Services (PVS) are being widely used in large scale application and desktop virtualization environments. Bottlenecks in the PVS servers can lead to slow boot times, cause desktops and applications to be unavailable or to be slow. Sudden session freezes or disconnects can also happen if PVS servers are slow. Monitoring of PVS servers and their performance is therefore important.
eG Enterprise is one of the few solutions in the market that provides deep visibility into every aspect of Citrix Provisioning service performance, irrespective of whether the server is deployed on a physical or a virtual machine.
Why is Citrix PVS Monitoring Challenging?
Since users do not directly access PVS, slowdowns or failures of PVS are hard to detect. Furthermore, because there are several underlying tiers in the Citrix infrastructure, when slowness is detected, an administrator often has to spend a lot of time determining exactly where the cause of the problem lies.
In-depth visibility and analysis of key performance indicators at the server operating system (particularly IOPS and memory), the infrastructure (key services, errors, etc.) and the application layers (e.g., the vDisks, the target devices, the write cache, PVS sites, PVS connections to license servers and data stores, etc. ) are the keys to identifying PVS problems proactively.
eG Innovations provides the best value for the money coupling visibility and excellent reporting. Using their automatic root cause analysis we avoided throwing $$ at the problem and realized $20K in savings - immediately.
CEO, Office Port
What eG Enterprise Monitoring for Citrix PVS Offers
Deep Visibility into Provisioning Services Health and Performance
- Provisioning server operational status
- Availability of provisioning server's key Windows services, connectivity to database and license servers
- Provisioning server errors (from log files, event logs, etc.)
- Status of each of the vDisks and target devices
- Write cache utilization in RAM
- Active vs. Inactive devices
- Target device activity on vDisks and devices
- PVS site and farm-wide visibility
Answers to Key Questions Regarding Citrix PVS Performance
- Are all the provisioning servers in a site available and responding to target device requests?
- Are there any inactive vDisks in a site? Which ones?
- Is the PVS server's RAM sufficiently sized?
- Which vDisks are not connected to any target device?
- Are any vDisks locked for a long time?
- What is the number of times a target device had to retry an I/O transaction?
- What are the boot times for target devices?
- By proactively detecting and resolving problems, you can ensure business continuity and keep Citrix users productive and satisfied
- Increase business efficiency by ensuring great Citrix performance and uptime
- eG Enterprise Universal Insight is a force multiplier for IT productivity. With the total Citrix performance visibility it offers, even helpdesk administrators can detect and resolve problems quickly
- In-depth analytics enable architects optimize their Citrix farms to scale and support additional users
- Provide a consistent and unified view for all the different stakeholders in your organization
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic IT infrastructure performance monitor
- Gain actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate, from application code to bare metal
- Understand the impact of infrastructure issues on application performance and user experience
- Unify IT performance monitoring, alerting, diagnosing, reporting, and capacity planning in a single console
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
- Benefit from flexible deployment options (on-premises and SaaS) and IT monitoring approaches (agentless and agent-based)