Performance Management for Red Hat Virtual Infrastructures
Virtualization introduces new dynamic dependencies – between physical machines and virtual machines (VMs) and between VMs. These dependencies make it quite complicated to monitor and manage virtualized infrastructures to ensure service performance and business continuity. For virtualization initiatives to be successful, it is critical that end-users see the same, or better, performance from virtual infrastructures as they had experienced with physical infrastructures.
Since a single Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV) server is used to host multiple VMs, a single malfunctioning application on a VM can degrade the performance seen by applications hosted on the other VMs that share the underlying resources of the physical machine. To troubleshoot this infrastructure, monitoring solutions need to understand the inter-dependencies – between applications and VMs and between VMs and physical machines. Making the problem more challenging is the fact that in a Red Hat virtualized environment, VMs (and hence, applications running in these VMs) can be migrated from one physical machine to another.
eG Enterprise for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
eG Enterprise is a comprehensive solution for monitoring and managing all aspects of the KVM hypervisor and the RHEV guest VMs, whether the infrastructure is used to support server or desktop applications. To enable administrators to control the user experience in virtualized infrastructures, eG Monitor for RHEV provides the industry’s only virtualization-aware service topology mapping and automatic correlation. This allows administrators to monitor the virtual infrastructure not as a silo but as an integral component of the overall business service infrastructure.
eG Enterprise correlates performance across the RHEV server and guest VMs. Automatic virtualization-aware root-cause diagnosis enables administrators to rapidly identify bottlenecks and to right-size their infrastructure for peak performance.
Administrators can not only determine if specific Virtual Machines (VMs) are consuming resources, they can also drill down to determine why these VMs are taking up resources (i.e., which applications are responsible for this). Coupled with the ability of the eG Enterprise Suite to monitor 180+ applications, including Citrix, Oracle, IBM, SAP, and others, the eG Monitor for RHEV provides a true end-to-end solution for monitoring and managing the performance of heterogeneous virtual IT infrastructures.
Key Features & Benefits of the eG Monitor for RHEV
eG Enterprise for RHEV helps you improve user productivity and the performance of your mission critical business services:
- Deep diagnostics:
With a few clicks you can drill down to the exact cause of a problem – i.e. whether it is the network, database, middleware, RHEV server, VM, or one of the applications
- Total performance visibility:
Analyze performance of every layer, every tier of the RHEV infrastructure – including the RHEV server, the VMs, the RHEV manager, the RHEV database and the applications running on the VMs
- Automatic, Virtualization-Aware Root-Cause Diagnosis with Business Service Views:
Monitor virtual environments with business service views - not as silos. Automatically correlate performance between physical machines and VMs, between applications and VMs, and between VMs hosted on the same physical machine. Rapidly identify bottlenecks and to right-size infrastructure for peak performance
- Combined external and internal performance views:
Real-time performance view and diagnostics of details about the RHEV server sees about the guest VMs and what the guest VMs see internally
- Hypervisor-based licensing:
One eG monitor license enables you to monitor the RHEV / KVM hypervisor and all the VM guests. Licensing is per physical server and not based on CPU cores, sockets or VMs
- Single-pane-of-glass monitoring of AIX server farms
- Helps eliminate downtime and application slowdowns with automatic root-cause diagnosis and proactive alerts
- Lowers support costs
- 100% web-based architecture for anywhere-access
- Data analysis, trending, and reporting capabilities for future planning and increased AIX server ROI
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic IT infrastructure performance monitor
- Only eG Enterprise automatically provides actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate, from application code to bare metal
- Understand the impact of infrastructure issues on application performance and user experience
- Unify performance monitoring, alerting, diagnosing, reporting, and capacity-planning in a single console
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
- Benefit from flexible deployment options (on-premises and SaaS) and monitoring approaches (agentless and agent-based)
“With eG Innovations, we are reducing system maintenance and support costs, avoiding incremental IT spending and eliminating system downtime across the hospital. Performance and prediction reports help us optimize IT spending and save $100,000 per year.”
Manager, ICT GHZ
“eG Innovations delivers a robust, reliable and extremely valuable solution to deliver maximum uptime and user satisfaction. Pre-emptive alerting helps us to address performance issues immediately before they affect system and application availability.”
Senior Manager, Allscripts
“With eG Enterprise, we can now quickly identify root causes of incidents, resolving them before users are impacted. Automatic prioritization and categorization of alerts helps us better focus on the important issues and prioritize our resources accordingly.”
Senior Consultant, C5 Alliance