Performance Consistency is Critical for Successful Citrix Upgrade
The upgrade to Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x involves significant architectural, configuration, and platform changes. Considering all the changes involved, the move to Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x is a full migration, rather than just an in-place upgrade.
Ultimately, the success of this upgrade hinges on the experience that users perceive, post-migration. With Citrix EdgeSight no longer included as a monitoring tool in Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x (Citrix Director now fulfills some of the monitoring needs), there are likely to be several missing capabilities and performance monitoring gaps after migration. To overcome these challenges, organizations must put in place an effective performance management strategy as part of the migration effort.
eG Enterprise Provides Complete Performance Management for Citrix Upgrade to XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x
eG Enterprise is a Citrix Ready-certified performance management solution for all types of Citrix infrastructures – physical, virtualized and cloud. Designed to monitor and report on all the latest Citrix product enhancements, eG Enterprise provides actionable intelligence about performance, user experience, resource usage, and baselines. This allows Citrix admins to ensure that applications and desktops are high-performing after the upgrade to XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x.
Going beyond Citrix: An upgrade to Citrix 7.x often involves changes to one or more of the following infrastructure components: server hardware, hypervisors, operating systems, and storage. Performance issues in any of these tiers affect Citrix performance. eG Enterprise delivers deep performance visibility into all supporting infrastructure tiers, enabling admins to determine if a bottleneck is due to one of the Citrix tiers or due to one of the supporting infrastructure components. Get single-pane-of-glass visibility and make performance management easier.
Benchmark Citrix User Experience, Pre- and Post-Migration
- Benchmark user logon performance on XenApp 6.5 using the built-in Citrix logon simulator
- Run synthetic simulations of logon, application availability and application launch in 7.x environment and compare performance with 6.5
- Compare performance from different locations to isolate location-specific issues
- Proactively get alerted to user experience issues and solve them before the Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x service goes live
Establish Baselines for Usage Patterns
Performance baselines established on the Citrix XenApp 6.5 farm will no longer apply in the Citrix XenApp 7.x infrastructure. Hence, Citrix administrators will need to re-establish new baselines for all key metrics – sessions, logouts, application usage, resource consumption, etc.
eG Enterprise's machine learning capabilities help automatically baseline usage patterns based on time-of-day and day-of-week patterns. By comparing current metrics with historical baselines, eG Enterprise proactively alerts Citrix admins to performance anomalies.
Track Performance of Every Citrix and Non-Citrix Tier
- Monitor every layer and every tier of the Citrix service including the key Citrix tiers (XenApp, XenDesktop, NetScaler, StoreFront, PVS etc.) and the supporting infrastructure (network, virtualization, storage, cloud, AD, etc.), from a single pane of glass
- Understand relationships between the various tiers using automated infrastructure discovery and dependency mapping
- Auto-correlate performance across the Citrix and non-Citrix infrastructures and pinpoint the root cause of problems in just minutes
Stay Ahead of User Complaints After Migration
- Continuously measure all aspects of Citrix user experience in the pre- and post-upgrade infrastructure
- Easily identify which step of the logon process if causing logon slowness
- Monitor key metrics, such as HDX bandwidth, screen refresh latency, Framehawk latency, and network latency between the server farm and client terminals
- Track session disconnects, screen freezes, slow application/desktop launch, and other user experience problems
Right-Size the Infrastructure for Maximum ROI
- Leverage built-in reports for historical performance analysis and capacity planning
- Forecast when your servers and VMs in the migrated infrastructure will run out of capacity
- Get actionable recommendations for managing the Citrix delivery infrastructure
- Optimize the Citrix infrastructure for enhanced performance and right-size for increased ROI
- Achieve successful digital workplace transformation and ensure a great Citrix user experience, every time
- Increase business productivity on the latest Citrix platform by delivering high-performing applications and desktops
- Leverage out-of-the-box reports to compare KPIs before and after migration to Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop 7.x
- Simplify performance monitoring from a single pane of glass for all stakeholders in your organization
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic IT infrastructure performance monitor
- Only eG Enterprise automatically provides actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate, from application code to bare metal
- Understand the impact of infrastructure issues on application performance and user experience
- Unify performance monitoring, alerting, diagnosing, reporting, and capacity-planning in a single console
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
- Benefit from flexible deployment options (on-premises and SaaS) and monitoring approaches (agentless and agent-based)