Agentless monitoring is often preferred over agent-based monitoring technologies because of the perceived ease of deployment. Network devices via SNMP, storage devices via APIs and standards like SMI-S, and new age virtualization platforms like VMware vSphere and Citrix XenServer with modern and robust APIs lend themselves for agentless monitoring.
eG Enterprise supports both agent and agentless monitoring. Administrators can pick and choose which parts of the infrastructure they want to monitor agentless and which ones are to be monitored agent-based. While agentless monitoring offers the same breadth of metrics that agent-based monitoring offers for infrastructure tiers with strong API support, for legacy servers and applications, agent-based monitoring allows deeper and more complete monitoring support.
Agentless monitoring in eG Enterprise is implemented using a remote data collector that uses protocols like SSH for Unix monitoring, Windows management instrumentation (WMI) for Windows servers and applications, HTTP/S for web-based applications, JMX for Java applications, SNMP for network devices, etc.
Agent vs. Agentless Monitoring Trade-offs
|Ease of deployment
||Easier to deploy; software installation is required only on the remote data collector.
||Agents need to be deployed on each server.
||The remote data collector must be allowed to communicate with the target system on different ports. The data collector may also need to be installed with domain administration privileges to be able to access the remote systems.
||Much more secure than agentless monitoring. The agent to application / OS communications are handled internal to the server. Hence, no additional firewall rules need to be configured
||Introduces additional network traffic as the raw performance data is transported to a remote data collector
||Very bandwidth efficient – data is collected locally and only the processed final results are transported to the console.
|Breadth and depth of monitoring
||Can be limited because not all applications and systems have built-in monitoring capabilities.
||Provides deeper, broader monitoring.
- Agentless monitoring is easy to deploy. Can get the monitoring working in minutes
- Low maintenance as just a few data collectors need daily surveillance
- Complete flexibility – pick the infrastructure tiers to be monitored with agents and the ones monitored agentless
- Tight integration of metrics from agent and agentless monitors
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic performance monitor
- Only eG Enterprise automatically provides actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate
- Get visibility across every tier of the physical and virtual infrastructure
- Automate the identification of performance issues with patented correlation-intelligence technology
- Pinpoint where urgent problems originate and exactly what tiers and processes are being affected
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
“With eG Innovations, we are reducing system maintenance and support costs, avoiding incremental IT spending and eliminating system downtime across the hospital. Performance and prediction reports help us optimize IT spending and save $100,000 per year.”
Manager, ICT GHZ
“eG Innovations delivers a robust, reliable and extremely valuable solution to deliver maximum uptime and user satisfaction. Pre-emptive alerting helps us to address performance issues immediately before they affect system and application availability.”
Senior Manager, Allscripts
“We can now quickly identify root causes of incidents, resolving them before users are impacted. Automatic prioritization and categorization of alerts helps us better focus on the important issues and prioritize our resources accordingly.”
Senior Consultant, C5 Alliance