Monitoring Citrix ADC Web AppFlow
eG Enterprise provides a specialized Citrix ADC Web AppFlow monitoring model for monitoring Web AppFlow.
Each layer of Figure 3 above is mapped to tests that intercept AppFlow records to report a wide variety of useful metrics. Using these metrics, administrators can find quick and accurate answers for the following performance queries:
- Is web traffic handled by the target ADC appliance abnormally high?
- Is the ADC appliance consuming bandwidth excessively when processing this traffic?
- Is any web application processing bandwidth-intensive traffic?
- Which is the exact web URL that was hit when bandwidth usage peaked?
- Are specific web protocols consuming more bandwidth than the rest?
- Are any HTTP request methods bandwidth-intensive?
- Is any specific HTTP response message from the web application hogging the bandwidth?
- Are operations performed by a particular web client bandwidth-intensive? If so, which web client is it? Which operating system is that client running on? Is high bandwidth usage by the web client OS impacting web client performance?
- Is any user agent/client device (mobile phone, PC, tablet) over-utilizing the bandwidth resources?
- How well is the ADC appliance processing web application traffic? Were any latencies noticed in the appliance?
- Which web application is responding to requests very slowly, and where is the bottleneck - at the server end? or client end?
- Is poor web application performance owing to the slow responsiveness of any particular web URL? If so, which URL is it, and where is the problem - in page loading? or in page rendering?
- Is any web protocol latent? If so, where is the protocol seeing maximum slowness - on the server-side? or on the client-side?
- Is any HTTP response status message taking too long to be rendered, thus degrading web application performance?
- Can slowness experienced by web application users be attributed to any specific web clients / user agents (i.e., devices such as mobile phones, PC, tablet, etc.) they are using? If so, which ones?
- If a latent web client is to blame for poor user experience with a web application, then is the slowness experienced by the web client owing to a slow operating system?
- Is any web virtual server processing traffic slowly?
The following sub-topics discuss each layer of Figure 3 and the tests mapped to every layer.