How to Monitor Syslog Server using eG Enterprise?
eG Enterprise monitors the Syslog Server in an agent-based manner. The eG agent installed on the target host periodically monitors the Syslog file for specific patterns of errors/warning messages.
Managing the Syslog Server
The eG Enterprise cannot automatically discover the Syslog Server so that you need to manually add the component for monitoring. Remember that the eG Enterprise automatically manages the components that are added manually. To manage a Syslog Server component, do the following:
- Log into the eG administrative interface.
- Follow the Components -> Add/Modify menu sequence in the Infrastructure tile of the Admin menu.
In the COMPONENT page that appears next, select Syslog as the Component type. Then, click the Add New Component button. This will invoke Figure 1.
- Specify the Host IP/Name and the Nick name of the Syslog server in Figure 1. Then, click the Add button to register the changes.
When you attempt to sign out, a list of unconfigured tests appears.
Figure 2 : List of Unconfigured tests for the Syslog server
- Configure the tests in the list of unconfigured tests one after another. To know the details on configuring these tests, refer to Monitoring a Syslog .
- Finally, signout of the administrative interface.