Why Monitor JBoss?
The JBoss application server is widely used for building, deploying, and hosting highly-transactional Java applications and services. To ensure high application performance, it is essential to monitor the JBoss application server, the components it hosts and the infrastructure tiers supporting it. IT teams and developers need this capability in order to proactively detect performance problems before they impact end-users of the Java application.
Common challenges faced by administrators:
- Not able to diagnose when a Java application transaction is slow, and whether a problem in the JBoss application server is causing the issue
- Not able to distinguish between container-level, JVM-level, and code-level problems
- Not able to obtain centralized performance insight throughout the entire Java environment
Full Stack JBoss Performance Monitoring
eG Enterprise provides a single-pane-of-glass view of the entire JBoss infrastructure. From an intuitive web console, application owners, developers and administrators can monitor the full Java stack including the JVM, web and EJB containers, application code, database connections, slow queries, external service calls, and more.
- Out of the box, eG Enterprise provides purpose-built monitoring models for JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP) and WildFly (formerly JBoss AS).
- Get deep diagnostics for all aspects of JBoss performance including components such as Java transactions, EJB, JSP, Servlets, DataSource, Connectors, JMS Message Queues, JPA, and more
Troubleshoot Faster with Deep JBoss Performance Insights
- Monitor the number of incoming requests by each connector
- Monitor the connections available in the DataSource connection pool
- Track how long each servlet takes for execution
- Measure invocation, execution, creation, removal metrics for each EJB
- Identify if the EJB thread pool is sized correctly
- Isolate business transactions affected due to JBoss performance
- Catch out-of-memory exceptions and memory leaks in the JVM
Automatic correlation with server-side issues, resource deficiency (CPU, memory, disk, etc.), and hardware faults differentiates application issues from the infrastructure.
Gain Code-Level Visibility for Application Performance Optimization
eG Enterprise allows developers to easily identify Java code-level issues.
- For a specific slow business transaction, drill down into the application code and identify the exact function that is causing slowness
- Isolate inefficient code, errors, long-running database queries and insufficient Java heap memory settings in no time
- Isolate high-CPU threads, waiting threads and root blocker threads in the JVM for code optimization
In Depth: See the JBoss performance metrics monitored by eG Enterprise
Answer Key JBoss Performance Questions
- Which of the Java business transactions are slow or stalled?
- How many transactions are handled by each JBoss engine?
- Is the workload balanced across all the JBoss servers in the farm? Do you need more JBoss Servers to handle the load?
- Is a backlog accumulating on a particular JMS queue or topic?
- Are Java Servlets executing within acceptable processing thresholds?
- Are transactions waiting for connections from the DataSource connection pool? Is it sized optimally?
Going Beyond Monitoring the JBoss Web Container
eG Enterprise delivers total performance assurance for web applications powered by Java technology:
- User experience monitoring: Using real user monitoring and synthetic transaction monitoring, identify user experience issues and slow transactions. Find out if the issue is in the browser, network, or server.
- Business transaction tracing: Trace slow transactions across the Java application architecture and isolate server-side issues causing transaction slowdown.
- In-depth JVM monitoring: Comprehensively monitor every aspect of JVM performance including CPU, heap and non-heap memory, threads, classes, garbage collection, and more.
- Improve uptime and performance of Java applications and services
- Detect and resolve application slowdowns before end-users are affected
- Troubleshoot faster by gaining deep performance insights and KPIs about JBoss performance
- Eliminate finger-pointing between IT Ops, DevOps and developers by automatically pinpointing the root cause of performance issues
- Single monitor for everything Java: JVMs, containers, web front end, databases, and underlying physical and virtual infrastructure
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic IT infrastructure performance monitor
- Gain actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate, from application code to bare metal
- Understand the impact of infrastructure issues on application performance and user experience
- Unify IT performance monitoring, alerting, diagnosing, reporting, and capacity planning in a single console
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
- Benefit from flexible deployment options (on-premises and SaaS) and IT monitoring approaches (agentless and agent-based)
“With eG Innovations, we are reducing system maintenance and support costs, avoiding incremental IT spending and eliminating system downtime across the hospital. Performance and prediction reports help us optimize IT spending and save $100,000 per year.
Manager, ICT GHZ
“eG Innovations delivers a robust, reliable and extremely valuable solution to deliver maximum uptime and user satisfaction. Pre-emptive alerting helps us to address performance issues immediately before they affect system and application availability.
Senior Manager, Allscripts