Monitoring Commvault Backup
eG Enterprise offers an exclusive Commvault Backup monitoring model (see Figure 1), which keeps tabs on the backup and restore operations performed by the server, and reports deviations much before they impact the performance of the server as a whole, or the dependent service.
The metrics reported by the tests associated with the above-layers will accurately answer the following queries:
- How many active and inactive clients are connected to the target Commvault Backup?
- What is the total number of jobs in each job state? Which job state has the maximum number of jobs? Are there too many jobs in "Failed" job state?
- How many backup jobs are scheduled?
- How many restore jobs are scheduled?
- How many admin jobs are scheduled?
- How many jobs are currently running on the backup server?
- How many jobs are pending/queued in the job controller?
- How many jobs are waiting in the job controller?
- How many jobs are suspended?
The bottom 4 layers of the layer model have been discussed elaborately in the Monitoring Windows and Unix Servers since these layers are similar to that of the Windows Generic Server model. The Backup Services layer alone is discussed in detail in the following section.