eG Enterprise has developed a dedicated Dlink DGS Switch monitoring model. This model periodically checks the flash memory utilization, the CPU utilization and the status of Safeguard Engine, fan and temperature sensor on each stack unit of the target switch. This way, abnormalities can be detected and rectified before any irreparable damage occurs.
Every layer of Figure 1 is mapped to a variety of tests which connect to the SNMP MIBs of the target switch to collect critical statistics pertaining to its performance. The metrics reported by these tests enable administrators to answer the following questions:
- What is the CPU utilization at various time intervals?
- What is the current status of each fan available in each stack unit?
- How well the flash memory is being utilized on each stack unit?
- What is the current status of the power supply unit within each stack unit?
- What is the current status of the temperature sensor in each stack unit?
- Is the Safeguard Engine enabled on the stack unit?
- Is the Safeguard Engine in idle state?
- What is the current status of each stack unit?