Monitoring Citrix NetScaler HDX AppFlow
eG Enterprise provides a specialized Citrix HDX AppFlow monitoring model for monitoring HDX AppFlow.
Each layer of Figure 3 above is mapped to tests that intercept AppFlow records to report a wide variety of useful metrics. Using these metrics, administrators can find quick and accurate answers for the following performance queries:
- Is any HDX virtual channel hogging bandwidth? If so, which one?
- What is the current session load on the XenApp/XenDesktop environment? Is the workload increasing consistently?
- Are any application/desktop session logging out suddenly? If so, which ones?
- Is any application user experiencing a time lag when accessing the application? If so, which user is affected and what could be delaying his/her access – the client side network? the server side network? the server hosting the applications? Or the NetScaler appliance?
- Is any desktop user experiencing slowness during desktop accesses? If so, which user has been impacted and what could be impacting his/her experience with the virtual desktop? In which ICA session was this slowness observed?
- Is any application session consuming bandwidth excessively? If so, Which applications were accessed by the user over that session?
- Which applications were launched by a user?
- Were any applications terminated by a user? If so, which ones?
- Is any desktop user consuming bandwidth excessively? If so, over which session did the abnormal bandwidth consumption occur? Which desktop was accessed by the user over that session?
- Is any application/desktop session inactive? How long is that session being inactive?
- Is any application taking too long to launch? Which application is it? Which user is impacted by the launch delay? Which server is the application running on?
- Has NetScaler been configured with adequate SSL VPN licenses?
The following sub-topics discuss each layer of Figure 3 and the tests mapped to every layer.