Monitoring SonicWall Firewall
eG Enterprise provides a specialized SonicWall Firewall monitoring model (see Figure 1), which periodically polls the SNMP MIB of the firewall to measure the availability, responsiveness, resource usage, and VPN tunnel traffic of the firewall, and notifies administrators of potential resource crunches or configuration issues with the firewall.
Using the metrics reported , administrators can find quick and accurate answers for the following performance questions:
- Is the firewall available over the network? How is the network connectivity to the firewall – solid or flaky?
- Is there a resource contention on the firewall device? Which resource is bottlenecked – CPU or memory?
- How many connections can the firewall service? Is the number of connections currently handled by the firewall unusually high?
- Is any VPN tunnel hogging the bandwidth resources? If so, which one is it?
- Are too many fragmented packets flowing through the firewall? If so, why? Is it because of an incorrect configuration?
The Network layer of the SonicWall Firewall model is similar to that of a Windows Generic server model. Therefore, you can refer to the Unix and Windows Servers