Configuring Percentile Values for Custom Capacity Planning Report
The eG Reporter module offers a wide variety of reports using which one can cross-correlate and time-correlate across thousands of metrics collected from across the environment. Reports generated using trend data particularly can accurately reveal the past load and performance trends, using which future trends in load and usage can be determined. The Avg, Sum, Max, and Min values computed by the eG Enterprise system on an hourly basis as part of its trend computations, help a great deal in determining potential sizing inadequacies and planning the future capacity of the environment. However, from a strict capacity planning perspective, Percentile values are deemed as more effective pointers to capacity inadequacies than the avg, sum, max, and min values.
To enable users to effectively plan the capacity of their environment, eG Enterprise allows administrators to configure the trend manager to compute percentile values, and then generate detailed Capacity Planning reports using the computed percentiles.
To configure the minimum and maximum percentile values that the eG trend manager should compute for a measure, do the following:
- Login to the eG administrative interface as admin.
Follow the menu sequence: Settings -> Reporter -> Capacity Planning Reports.
By default, the Capacity Planning Reports option will not be available in the Reporter sub-menu - i.e., users are not allowed to configure/generate capacity planning reports by default. To enable the generation of capacity planning reports, do the following:
- Edit the eg_services.ini file in the <EG_INSTALL_DIR>\manager\config directory.
- In the [misc_args] section of the file, you will find a CapacityReportEnabled flag, which is set to false by default. Change this flag to true.
- Save the file.
By default, the Configure Percentile Policy tab page will open with the View option chosen (by default) from the Percentile Policies list. If percentile definitions pre-exist, then the list of existing definitions will then appear. By default, a definition named Default will pre-exist, which will be set to a maximum percentile value of 95 and a minimum value of 5.
Figure 1 : Viewing the list of percentile policies
To add a new policy, click on the Add Percentile Policy button. This will invoke Figure 2.
- Here, provide a name for the percentile definition in the Percentile policy text box.
- Specify minimum and maximum percentile values in the Minimum and Maximum text boxes.
- Finally, click the Update button.
To modify a percentile definition, do the following:
Figure 3 : Modifying a percentile policy
- From that appears, pick the Percentile Policy to be modified.
- The Minimum and Maximum values configured for the chosen percentile policy will then appear.
- Change the required values and click the Update button to save the changes.
To delete a percentile definition, do the following:
Figure 4 : Deleting a percentile policy
- The button will now be enabled against the Percentile Policies. Clicking on this button will delete the Percentile Policies. Note that eG Enterprise will allow the deletion of only those definitions that have not been assigned to any measure yet.