Installing an eG Agent on HPUX Host with Itanium Processor in the Silent Mode
To install an eG agent on HPUX Itanium in the silent mode, do the following:
- First, manually install an eG agent on a target HPUX host using the installation instructions provided in Installing an eG Agent on an HP-UX Server Running an Itanium Processor. Typically, this is achieved by executing the iAgent script from the super-user account.
After manual installation of the agent, you will find that a directory named egurkha is automatically created in the install location specified during installation. Now, tar the egurkha folder as eGagent_hpux_itanimum.tar to a temporary folder (say, /tmp) on the agent host. For this purpose, issue the following command at the shell prompt:
tar -cvf /tmp/eGagent_hpux_itanium.tar egurkha
- Manual installation will also automatically create a silent_install_itanium script and an iAgent_hpux_itanium_silent in the /opt/egurkha/bin directory of the agent host. Copy these two script files as well to the temporary folder (ay, /tmp).
- Then, copy the eGagent_hpux_itanium.tar, silent_install_itanium, and iAgent_hpux_itanium_silent files to any location (say, /tmp) on that HPUX host on which you want to install an eG agent in the silent mode.
- Next, login as root user to the target HPUX host and edit the silent_install_itanium script so that it contains the inputs required for the agent installation on that host. For this, follow the procedure explained in step 4 of Installing an eG Agent on Linux in the Silent Mode.
Once all the aforesaid parameters are configured with the values relevant to your agent installation, save the file.
Make sure that the eGuser account exists on the target system before you run the silent_install_itanium script.
- Provide execute permissions for the silent_install_itanium script and run the script on the target host. To grant execute permissions, issue the following command from the directory that holds the silent_install_itanium script (say, \tmp): chmod +x silent_install_itanium
Upon successful execution of the script, the eG agent will be automatically installed and started on the host.
If you are installing the eG agent on an imaging system (e.g. for Citrix Provisioning services), or on a snapshot (for Citrix Machine Creation Services), or on a VM template for virtual servers, you will need to make sure that the nick name is NOT set for the agent on the imaging system/snapshot/VM template. In such environments, when installing the eG agent, make sure that you do not provide a nick name for that agent. If you are downloading the agent from the eG manager in a SaaS environment, the installation will automatically start the agent and assign the hostname of the system as the nick name automatically. In such a case, you need to:
- On the snapshot / golden image / master VM, open the eg_nick.ini file in the <EG_AGENT_INSTALL_DIR>\agent\config directory.
- Check to see if the Nick parameter in that file is set to any value. If this parameter has no value, it implies that no nick name was set for the eG agent on that snapshot / golden image / master VM. On the other hand, if the Nick parameter has a value, it indicates that a nick name was set for the eG agent. In this case, make sure that you delete the eg_nick.ini file on the snapshot / golden image / master VM before you proceed further.