Java Performance Monitoring
Application slowdowns are revenue-impacting and can be complex to understand and solve. Many interdependent factors affect application performance and thereby the user experience (and your business): Issues at the user end, in the application code, in the database, in external services, and across the underlying infrastructure. Monitoring the Java application stack end to end is the key to ensuring peak application performance and user satisfaction.
- Java infrastructures are multi-tiered: Interdependencies between tiers make problem diagnosis a challenge. When a user complains of slowness, which tier is the cause of the problem: Web, Java, application code, database?
- Java applications are virtualized: Applications are being deployed on virtual machines (VMs), containers, as microservices, or in the cloud. Resource contention among these components can lead to application slowdowns.
- Java application frameworks are many and varied: Performance issues can arise from several server-side and client-side processing frameworks that are being used to accelerate application development.
Full Stack Java Monitoring with eG Enterprise
eG Enterprise provides a powerful and easy-to-use set of Java performance monitoring tools, enabling in-depth diagnostic capabilities to uncover complex and costly performance issues across the Java stack. From a single pane of glass, administrators can pinpoint the exact source of issues. Whether it is malfunctioning application code, remote method calls impacting transaction response time, blocked threads, memory heap issues in the JVM, or runaway threads consuming high CPU, eG Enterprise’s proactive alerts enable application architects, developers and IT operations personnel to easily diagnose application performance bottlenecks in a few seconds.
Using a combination of Web services APIs calls, JMX accesses and byte code instrumentation, eG Enterprise gathers performance metrics from Java applications. By analyzing these metrics in real time and correlating them, it highlights exactly how performance issues can be addressed. Also, the eG Enterprise solution is extremely cost-efficient because it is licensed by the number of servers, not by the number of JVMs.
Single-Pane-of-Glass Monitoring for Everything Java
- Automatically discover Java application components and interdependencies
- Detect user experience issues in real-time: report on pages affected, locations impacted, and more
- Trace business transactions hop-by-hop to isolate which tier (web front-end, application server, database) is causing slowness
- Get deep diagnostics for the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and containers such as Tomcat, JBoss EAP, WildFly, WebLogic, WebSphere, GlassFish, and more
- Isolate server, storage, network and virtualization issues that affect Java application performance
Monitor the Application User Experience in Real Time
Use eG Enterprise’s real user monitoring (RUM) to get critical user experience performance metric at your fingertips:
- Identify times when user experience is poor
- Detect specific web URLs that are slow
- Identify which geographical locations are affected
- Diagnose whether slowdown is due to the client browser, content download, network, or server-side processing
Get Instant Code-Level Insights with Business Transaction Monitoring
Using an advanced tag-and-follow approach, eG Enterprise traces every business transaction (from web browsers and native mobile apps) that flows through the Java web and middleware tiers and allowing quick identification of the cause of transaction slowdowns.
- Visually map the entire application run-time architecture and all inter-dependencies across all tiers (client, presentation, business logic and data)
- Monitor availability, response time and errors for each transaction, hop-by-hop, across multiple JVMs
- In a single click, drill down to identify application code-level issues, slow database queries and remote web service calls
In-Depth Monitoring of Java Containers and JVMs
eG Enterprise tracks all aspects of the health and performance of Java containers hosting the applications and the underlying Java Virtual Machines (JVMs).
- Track heap and non-heap memory usage, and detect memory leaks and out-of-memory exceptions
- Determine if garbage collection (GC) is working well. If not, determine what changes need to be made to avoid many full GCs
- Identify blocked and deadlocked threads, and the exact object/line of code causing this
- Report the thread and its stack trace that is causing high CPU usage in the JVM
- Get insight into the performance of application servers including Tomcat, WebLogic, JBoss EAP, WildFly, WebSphere, GlassFish, and more
Monitor the Infrastructure Supporting Your Java Applications
Application performance is often affected by anomalies in the underlying IT infrastructure, including the server operating system, hardware, hypervisor, network, and storage devices. Unlike other Java application monitoring tools, the eG Enterprise unified monitoring console provides visibility into every layer and every tier of the supporting IT infrastructure. A patented auto-correlation engine analyzes performance insights from disparate components, presents a visual topology map of the infrastructure including interdependencies across the various tiers, and pinpoints the root cause in seconds.
- Deliver great user experience and peak performance for Java applications
- Accelerate troubleshooting of issues using deep diagnostics and actionable insights
- Accurately pinpoint the root cause of application slowdowns by monitoring and correlating performance within and beyond the Java stack
- Optimize Java application performance by pinpointing complex threading problems and code inefficiencies in seconds
- Provide metrics, analysis and reports for different stakeholders: Operations, architects, developers, helpdesks
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic IT infrastructure performance monitor
- Gain actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate, from application code to bare metal
- Understand the impact of infrastructure issues on application performance and user experience
- Unify IT performance monitoring, alerting, diagnosing, reporting, and capacity-planning in a single console
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
- Benefit from flexible deployment options (on-premises and SaaS) and IT monitoring approaches (agentless and agent-based)
“With eG Enterprise, we can now quickly identify root causes of incidents, resolving them before users are impacted. Automatic prioritization and categorization of alerts helps us better focus on the important issues and prioritize our resources accordingly.”
Senior Consultant, C5 Alliance