Why Monitor Apache Tomcat?
The Tomcat application server is one of the more popular server implementations for Java web applications. Implementing a "pure Java" HTTP web server, Apache Tomcat supports Java Servlets, JavaServer Pages, Java EL, and WebSockets, thereby making it a favored choice for deploying and hosting highly transactional Java applications and services.
To ensure high application performance, it is essential to monitor the Tomcat application server, the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) it uses, the application components it hosts and the infrastructure tiers supporting it. IT teams and developers need the capability to proactively detect performance problems before they impact end-users of the Java application.
Full Stack Apache Tomcat Performance Monitoring
eG Enterprise is a full-stack application performance monitoring solution that delivers in-depth insights into Java applications powered by Tomcat. From an intuitive web console, application owners, developers and administrators can:
- Monitor the JVM, the Tomcat web container, and application transaction profiling from a single console
- Track problematic application code, database connections, slow queries, external web service calls, and more
- Get deep diagnostics on all aspects of Tomcat performance including Connectors, Servlets, Thread pools, Jasper Compiler, Sessions and caching
Learn what are the top 7 Tomcat Metrics to Monitor to Ensure Peak Performance
What eG Enterprise Monitoring for Apache Tomcat Offers
Troubleshoot Faster with Deep Tomcat Performance Insights
Get comprehensive view of all Tomcat performance metrics in one place.
- Monitor the processing of requests by each connector (response time, errors, workload, etc.)
- Monitor sessions to each application hosted on Tomcat to identify which application is imposing the highest load
- Track every servlet executing on Tomcat and measure requests, processing time, and errors
- Assess whether the Tomcat server has been configured with enough threads to handle workloads
- Isolate business transactions affected due to Tomcat performance
- Catch out-of-memory exceptions and memory leaks in the JVM
Get Code-Level Visibility for Application Performance Optimization
eG Enterprise allows developers to easily identify Java code-level issues.
- Automatically get alerted to slow Java application transactions
- Analyze the transaction flow using distributed transaction tracing and determine where slowness is occurring app server, database, remote calls
- Easily drill down to get Java code-level visibility
Get details of Tomcat performance metrics monitored by eG Enterprise
Answer Key Tomcat Performance Questions:
- Which of the Java business transactions are slow, stalled or having errors?
- Where is the response time slowdown: in the Java code or in the database queries or in external web service calls?
- How many transactions are handled by each Tomcat engine?
- Is the workload balanced across all the Tomcat servers in the farm? Do you need more Tomcat Servers to handle the load?
- Are Java Servlets executing within acceptable processing thresholds?
- Is the web container configured correctly to handle the incoming workload?
Going Beyond Monitoring the Tomcat Web Container
eG Enterprise delivers total performance assurance for web applications powered by Java technology:
- User experience monitoring: Using real user monitoring and synthetic transaction monitoring, you can identify user experience issues and slow transactions. Find out if the issue is with the browser, network, or in server side.
- Business transaction tracing: Trace slow transactions across the Java application architecture and isolate server-side issues causing transaction slowdown.
- In-depth JVM monitoring: Comprehensively monitor every aspect of JVM performance including CPU, heap and non-heap memory, threads, classes, garbage collection, and more.
- Service owners can deliver improved uptime and performance for their web services
- Helpdesk teams can detect and resolve application slowdowns before end-users are affected
- NOC teams can troubleshoot faster by gaining deep performance insights and KPIs about Tomcat performance
- Eliminate finger-pointing between IT Ops, DevOps and developers by automatically pinpointing the root cause of performance issues
- Developers get insights to fine-tune their applications to be more scalable and deliver faster response
- IT operations teams have a single monitor for everything Java: Monitor JVMs, containers, web front end, databases, underlying physical and virtual infrastructure
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic IT infrastructure performance monitor
- Gain actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate, from application code to bare metal
- Understand the impact of infrastructure issues on application performance and user experience
- Unify IT performance monitoring, alerting, diagnosing, reporting, and capacity planning in a single console
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
- Benefit from flexible deployment options (on-premises and SaaS) and IT monitoring approaches (agentless and agent-based)