Pre-requisites for Monitoring EMC VNX
To enable the eG agent to monitor the file-only storage systems in the VNX Unified storage device, the following pre-requisites should be fulfilled:
- The storage device should be managed in the eG Enterprise system using the IP address of the Control station that hosts the CLI for file-only storage systems;
- SSH communication should be enabled between the eG agent host and the Control station. To achieve this, ensure that the SSH port (default: 22) is opened in the firewall (if any) between the eG agent and the control station.
- When adding the storage device for monitoring (in the eG admin interface), make sure that the credentials of the nasadmin user are configured therein to allow the eG agent to run the CLI for file-only storage systems and collect metrics.
To enable the eG agent to monitor the block-only storage systems in the VNX Unified storage device, the following pre-requisites should be fulfilled:
- The eG agent should be deployed on the same host on which the NaviSphere CLI (i.e., the NaviSecCLI.exe) operates;
- The NaviSphere CLI should run on a host that can communicate with the storage system
- All the eG tests that monitor the block storage should be configured with the full path to the NaviSecCLI.exe and the credentials of a user with Administrator access to the block storage.
- All the eG tests that monitor the block storage should be configured with the IP address of the storage controller.
Once the aforesaid requirements are fulfilled, the eG agent will report a plethora of useful metrics revealing the health of the VNX storage system and present these performance statistics in the eG monitoring model using the hierarchical layer model representation of Figure 1.