eG Enterprise offers a dedicated HP Procurve Switch monitoring model which periodically checks the CPU and memory utilization, the temperature and fans of the switch, the packet buffer etc, so that excessive resource utilization, abnormal temperature increase, power supply failures, etc. can be detected before any irreparable damage occurs.
Every layer of Figure 1 is mapped to a variety of tests which connect to the SNMP MIB of the target HP Procurve Switch to collect critical statistics pertaining to its performance. The metrics reported by these tests enable administrators to answer the following questions:
- How well the CPU is utilized?
- How well the memory of the target Switch is utilized?
- What is the temperature of the CPU and switch chassis?
- What is the current state of each sensor of the switch?
- What is the current state and utilization of the power supply?
- What is the current status of the fan?
- Does the switch require reboot?
- How long has the switch been up since the restart?
- What is the current size of the packet buffer?