How to Monitor IBM BladeCenter Chassis Using eG Enterprise
eG enterprise monitors the IBM BladeCenter Chassis in an agentless manner. For this purpose, you can deploy a single eG agent on a remote Windows host. This agent executes various tests that connect to the SNMP MIB of the chassis to be monitored, and collects critical statistics of interest. To enable the eG agent to access the SNMP MIB, specify the following while configuring the tests:
- Port number on which the target chassis exposes its MIB
- SNMP community to be used for accessing the MIB
To start monitoring the target chassis, first manage the IBM Blade Chassis component using the steps explained in the section below.
Managing IBM BladeCenter Chassis
Using eG Enterprise, you can auto-discover the IBM BladeCenter Chassis as well as manually add the component for monitoring. To manage an IBM Blade Chassis component, do the following:
- Log into the eG admin interface.
- If the IBM BladeCenter Chassis is already discovered, then directly proceed towards managing it using the Components – Manage/Unmanage/Delete page.
- However, if the target chassis is yet to be discovered, then run discovery (Infrastructure -> Components -> Discovery) to get it discovered or follow the Components -> Add/Modify menu sequence in the Infrastructure tile of the Admin menu to manually add the component using the Components page. Remember that components manually added are managed automatically.
In the Components page that appears next, select IBM Blade Chassis as the Component type. Then, click the Add New Component button. This will invoke Figure 1.
Specify the Host IP/Name and the Nick name for the IBM Blade Chassis component.
- Choose an external agent for the target chassis by picking an option from the External agents list box.
- Then, click the Add button to register the changes (see Figure 1).
When you attempt to sign out, a list of unconfigured tests will appear as shown in Figure 2.
- Click on any test in the list of unconfigured tests to configure. To know how to configure the tests, refer to Monitoring IBM BladeCenter Chassis.
- Finally, signout of the eG admin interface.