How to Monitor Juniper Netscreen SSG Using eG Enterprise?
eG Enterprise adopts agentless approach to monitor the Juniper Netscreen SSG firewall. A single eG external agent is all that is required to monitor a firewall. This agent, when deployed on a remote host, executes tests that connect to the SNMP MIB of the firewall device to be monitored, and collects statistics of interest from it. The key pre-requisite for monitoring the firewall device is enabling SNMP on the target firewall device. Once this requirement is kept in place, start monitoring the firewall device. There are two broad steps for monitoring the firewall device:
- Managing the Juniper Netscreen SSG
- Configuring the tests
Managing the Juniper Netscreen SSG
The eG Enterprise cannot automatically discover the Juniper Netscreen SSG firewall device. This implies that you need to manually add the component for monitoring. Remember that the eG Enterprise automatically manages the components that are added manually. To add a Juniper Netscreen SSG firewall device, do the following:
- Log into the eG administrative interface.
- Follow the Components -> Add/Modify menu sequence in the Infrastructure tile of the Admin menu.
In the COMPONENT page that appears next, select Juniper Netscreen SSG as the Component type. Then, click the Add New Component button. This will invoke Figure 1.
- Specify the Host IP and the Nick name of the Juniper Netscreen SSG firewall device in Figure 1. Then click the Add button to register the changes.
Configuring the tests
When you attempt to sign out, a list of unconfigured tests appears (see Figure 2) listing the tests that require manual configuration.
- Click on the tests to configure. To know how to configure the tests, refer to the Monitoring the Juniper Netscreen SSG chapter.
- Then, try to signout of the eG administrative interface. Now, you will be prompted to configure the Device Uptime test and the Network Interfaces test. To know more about how to configure the Device Uptime and Network Interfaces tests, refer to Cisco Router
- Finally, signout of the administrative interface.