Enabling SNMP for a Domino Server on AIX
To enable SNMP on an AIX Domino server, you will have to configure the Domino SNMP agent (i.e., the LNSNMP process) to communicate with the SNMPD subsystem (on AIX) using the SMUX protocol.
However, prior to configuring the Domino SNMP agent, make sure that the following are in place:
- TCP/IP and SNMP should be properly installed and configured on the server. Also, make sure that the Domino executable and the Domino data directories are in your search path
- The trap destinations and community names for AIX should be appropriately configured in the /etc/snmpd.conf file for your remote management infrastructure. Remember to keep the view identifiers unique for each trap destination.
- The Domino SNMP Agent is set up to run automatically. This means that once the Domino SNMP Agent is configured, it is virtually always running, even when Domino is not. If you later upgrade Domino you should stop the LNSNMP process before beginning the upgrade process.
Next, proceed to configure the Domino SNMP agent, using the procedure explained below:
- Login as the root user.
- Stop the LNSNMP process. Enter this command: lnsnmp.sh stop
- Stop the SNMPD (SNMP Daemon) subsystem. The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) daemon is a background server process that can be run on any Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) workstation host. The daemon, acting as SNMP agent, receives, authenticates, and processes SNMP requests from manager applications. This daemon is installed and started by default on AIX systems. To stop SNMPD, enter this command: stopsrc -s snmpd
- Configure SNMPD to accept LNSNMP as an SMUX peer. Add the following line to the /etc/snmpd.peers file: "Lotus Notes Agent" 22.214.171.124.4.1.334.72 "NotesPasswd"
- Configure SNMPD to accept an SMUX association from LNSNMP. Add the following line to /etc/snmpd.conf: smux 126.96.36.199.4.1.334.72 NotesPasswd
- Start the SNMPD subsystem. Enter this command: startsrc -s snmpd
- Start the LNSNMP process. Enter this command: lnsnmp.sh start
- Create a link to the LNSNMP script. Enter this command, changing the Domino executable path if necessary: ln -f -s /opt/lotus/notes/latest/ibmpow/lnsnmp.sh /etc/lnsnmp.rc
- Arrange for LNSNMP to be restarted after a reboot. Add the following line to the end of the /etc/rc.tcpip file: /etc/lnsnmp.rc start
After configuring the LNSNMP agent, start the Domino server add-in tasks such as the QuerySet, Event Interceptor, and Statistic Collector tasks, using the procedure discussed in the Configuring the Domino SNMP Agent