Installing an eG Agent on AIX in the Silent Mode
To install an eG agent on AIX in the silent mode, do the following:
- First, manually install the eG agent on any of the target AIX hosts in your environment, by following the procedure provided in the Installing an eG Agent on AIX
topic. Typically, this is achieved by executing the iAgent_aix.sh script, with the eGagent_aix.tar file located in the same directory as iAgent_aix.sh.
- Upon successful installation, a silent_install script and an iAgent_aix file will get automatically created in the /opt/egurkha/bin directory of the agent host.
- Next, copy the iAgent_aix file and silent_install script from the /opt/egurkha/bin directory to any location on the AIX host on which you want to install an eG agent in the silent mode. To the same location, copy the eGagent_aix.tar file as well.
- Then, login to the AIX host as root user and edit the silent_install script. To achieve this, follow the procedure detailed at steps 4 of Installing an eG Agent on Linux in the Silent Mode.
Once all the aforesaid parameters are configured with the values relevant to your agent installation, save the file.
Make sure that the eGuser account exists on the target system before you run the silent_install script.
- Provide execute permissions for the silent_install script and run the script on the target host. To grant execute permissions, issue the following command from the directory that holds the silent_install script (say, \tmp): chmod +x silent_install
Upon successful execution of the script, the eG agent will be automatically installed and started on the host.
If you are installing the eG agent on an imaging system (e.g. for Citrix Provisioning services), or on a snapshot (for Citrix Machine Creation Services), or on a VM template for virtual servers, you will need to make sure that the nick name is NOT set for the agent on the imaging system/snapshot/VM template. In such environments, when installing the eG agent, make sure that you do not provide a nick name for that agent. If you are downloading the agent from the eG manager in a SaaS environment, the installation will automatically start the agent and assign the hostname of the system as the nick name automatically. In such a case, you need to:
- On the snapshot / golden image / master VM, open the eg_nick.ini file in the <EG_AGENT_INSTALL_DIR>\agent\config directory.
- Check to see if the Nick parameter in that file is set to any value. If this parameter has no value, it implies that no nick name was set for the eG agent on that snapshot / golden image / master VM. On the other hand, if the Nick parameter has a value, it indicates that a nick name was set for the eG agent. In this case, make sure that you delete the eg_nick.ini file on the snapshot / golden image / master VM before you proceed further.