How to Monitor Juniper EX Switch Using eG Enterprise?
eG Enterprise adopts agentless approach to monitor the Juniper EX Switch. A single eG external agent is all that is required to monitor a switch. This agent, when deployed on a remote host, executes tests that connect to the SNMP MIB of the switch to be monitored, and collects statistics of interest from it. The key pre-requisite for monitoring is to SNMP enable the switch. Once this requirement is kept in place, start monitoring the switch. There are two broad steps for monitoring the switch:
- Managing the Juniper EX Switch
- Configuring the tests
Managing the Juniper EX Switch
The eG Enterprise cannot automatically discover the Juniper EX Switch. This implies that you need to manually add the component for monitoring. Remember that the eG Enterprise automatically manages the components that are added manually. To add a Juniper EX Switch, do the following:
- Log into the eG administrative interface.
- Follow the Components -> Add/Modify menu sequence in the Infrastructure tile of the Admin menu.
In the COMPONENT page that appears next, select Juniper EX Switch as the Component type. Then, click the Add New Component button. This will invoke Figure 1.
- Specify the Host IP and the Nick name of the Juniper EX Switch server in Figure 1. Then click the Add button to register the changes.
Configuring the tests
When you attempt to sign out, a list of unconfigured tests will appear as shown in Figure 2.
- Click on the tests to configure them. To know how to configure these tests, refer to the Monitoring Juniper EX Switch chapter.
- To configure the details on configuring the Network Interfaces test, Network Interfaces Test.
- Once the Network Interfaces test is configured, signout of the eG administrative interface.