eG Enterprise offers a dedicated 3Com Switch monitoring model which periodically checks the data traffic to and from each network interface of the switch, the temperature and voltage of each module of the switch, the resource utilization etc, so that abnormalities can be detected before any irreparable damage occurs.
Every layer of Figure 1 is mapped to a variety of tests which connect to the SNMP MIB of the target 3Com Switch to collect critical statistics pertaining to its performance. The metrics reported by these tests enable administrators to answer the following questions:
- How well the CPU is utilized?
- How well the memory of the target 3Com Switch is utilized?
- What is the current temperature of the 3Com switch?
- How well each process executing on the 3Com Switch is utilizing the CPU resources? Which process is utilizing the maximum amount of CPU resources?
- How many users are currently in the active state?
- How many blocked users are trying to use the target 3Com Switch?