Monitoring Data Domain
eG Enterprise provides a specialized Data Domain monitoring model (see Figure 1) to monitor the hardware components of the Data Domain storage system, the I/O operations on the disks of the storage system, the status of the file system service, the space utilization of each file, the compression ration of each file system etc.
Every layer of Figure 1 is mapped to a variety of tests which connect to the SNMP MIB of the Data Domain storage system to collect critical statistics pertaining to its performance. The metrics reported by these tests enable administrators to answer the following questions:
- What is the current status of each fan in the storage system?
- What is the current state, capacity and temperature of each disk?
- What is the size of the NVRAM in the storage system?
- Is the battery of NVRAM running out of charge?
- What is the current status of the power modules, sensors etc?
- What is the status of the file system service?
- How well the space of each file is utilized?
- How well each file system is compressed?