The eG RUM Advantage
What gives eG RUM an edge over its competition are its unique features:
- Hassle-free installation: It takes only a few minutes to install and configure the RUM collector, which is the core component of the eG RUM architecture. Moreover, eG auto-generates the Java script to be injected into the monitored web pages, thus saving coding time and the need for expert programmers. Once the collector is started and the code injected, no additional instrumentation is necessary to make the browser send performance beacons to the collector.
- Hands-free monitoring: eG RUM is an ‘agentless’ solution. The eG RUM collector and the eG Agent can both be deployed on resource-thin, less-critical hosts in the environment. This way, you can make sure that your mission-critical servers/applications are protected from any performance-impacting third-party intrusions. Moreover, minimal firewall configurations are required to allow the monitoring. For instance, to enable the agent to remotely poll the eG RUM collector for metrics, the firewall needs to allow only one-way communication between the agent and the collector. This way, you can get the solution up and running in no time and with minimal manual intervention.
- Real-time monitoring of real user transactions: You can configure specific transaction URLs for monitoring by eG RUM. If this is done, then, when a user actually requests for such transactions, the eG RUM snoops on the LIVE transactions and captures their responsiveness. Slow transactions can thus be accurately isolated. Moreover, since no emulation techniques are used for transaction monitoring, you are sure to receive the true picture of transaction performance.
- Precise root-cause identification of poor user experience: Many factors affect user experience with a web service – a congested network connection, backend application and database servers with low processing power, and an unavailable/overloaded front-end, are some of the key factors. When a user complaints that his/her experience with a web service is below par, administrators must be able to quickly identify the exact transaction that is slow and what could be causing the slowness. This is where the eG RUM helps! Using the eG RUM, administrators can not only identify slow transactions, but can accurately figure out where the transaction is bottlenecked – at the network? the front-end? or the backend? Precise problem identification enables quick problem resolution and consequently, high service uptime.
- Monitors browsers and their impact on transaction performance: The eG RUM provides browser-specific insights into responsiveness of web transactions, and in the process, points you to those browsers that are often seeing poor responsiveness. When building a web application, these insights will help you in identifying the browsers that are incompatible with your web applications, and those that are ideal for use with your web applications.
- Auto-discovers where (i.e., the location) application users are coming from and reports experience per location: Using the eG RUM, you can quickly know from which geography - i.e., country, city, and region – the web application receives requests. Response time metrics are also reported per geography, thus leading administrators to those geographies that are problematic and the reason for the problems. Zooming into a “problem zone” eases troubleshooting, as it helps firmly fix “responsibility centers” and focus troubleshooting efforts on infrastructure elements within a particular geography. This in turn hastens root-cause diagnosis and ultimately, problem resolution.
- Helps improve the experience of client devices with applications: Using the eG RUM, administrators can quickly understand the client device being used by a majority of their application users. Administrators can thus instantly detect accesses from unsupported/incompatible devices. Besides, the response time metrics per client device currently used are also reported by the eG RUM, with the help of which, application developers can swiftly and accurately mark troublesome devices. These device-specific performance insights also provide application developers with effective pointers to tweak the monitored application, so as to improve the usability of the application from the problematic devices and thus minimize or completely mitigate complaints from these device users.
- Captures Java script errors: The eG RUM instantly alerts administrators to Java script errors that may be encountered when working with a web application/web site. The complete details of these errors are also provided to enable quick and efficient troubleshooting.
It is thus evident that eG possesses all qualities of an ideal Real User Monitor!