Real User Monitoring - KPI Overview Report
For an administrator of a web site/web application, it is of utmost importance for him/her to quickly compare/historically analyze the past performance trends of the target web site/web application. The KPI Overview report offered by the eG Enterprise helps in such comparison/analysis. By generating this report, you can figure out the answers to the following questions:
- Is the performance of the web site/web application consistent?
- Has the performance of the web site/web application improved/degraded today when compared to yesterday’s performance?
- If performance degradation is noticed, is it consistent or sporadic?
By quickly comparing the past performance of the web site/web application, administrators can determine the user experience in the past 7 days and identify any abnormal inconsistencies in the behavior of the web site/web application.
To generate this report, do the following:
- Login to eG Reporter.
- Follow the menu sequence: REPORTS BY FUNCTION -> RUM Reports -> KPI Overview.
- From Figure 1, select the service from the Service list box for which the report is to be generated.
The Component list will then be populated with the components that are associated with the chosen Service. Select a component of your choice from this list.
In large environments, reports generated using months of data can take a long time to complete. Administrators now have the option of generating reports on-line or in the background. When a report is scheduled for background generation, administrators can proceed with their other monitoring, diagnosis, and reporting tasks, while the eG manager is processing the report. This saves the administrator valuable time. To schedule background processing of a report, select the Background Save - PDF option from the Report Generation list. In this case, a Report Name text box will appear, where you would have to provide the name with which the report is to be saved in the background. To process reports in the foreground, select the Foreground Generation - HTML option from this list.
- The Report Generation list will appear only if the EnableBackgroundReport flag in the [BACKGROUND_PROCESS] section of the eg_report.ini file (in the [EG_INSTALL_DIR]\manager\config directory) is set to Yes.
- The default selection in the Report Generation list will change according to the Timeline specified for the report. If the Timeline set is greater than or equal to the number of days specified against the MinDurationForReport parameter in the [BACKGROUND_PROCESS] section of the eg_report.ini file, then the default selection in the Report Generation list will be Background. On the other hand, if the Timeline set for the report is lesser than the value of the MinDurationForReport parameter, then the default selection in the Report Generation list will be Foreground. This is because, the MinDurationForReport setting governs when reports are to be processed in the background. By default, this parameter is set to 2 weeks - this indicates that by default, reports with a timeline of 2 weeks and above will be processed in the background.
Finally, click the Run Report button to generate the report.
- The report in Figure 2 provides you with a table listing the key metrics and against each metric, a series of bar graphs show the current value of the target web site/web application, the trend that existed the previous day and the average value of the measure in the last 7 days. A 7 DAYS TREND column helps administrators view the maximum value, minimum value and the average value of each metric with respect to the target web site/web application. By analyzing these values administrators can perform a comparative analysis of the overall user experience and the performance of the web site/web application.