1. What are the main questions that administrators have about their Microsoft Azure Virtual Desktop services?
The main questions that customers have about AVD services include:
- Is the service available, and are users able to login and access their virtual desktops?
- Is the response time for users within the expected bounds/SLAs? What is the average logon time or application launch time?
- How many session hosts are in use and is the load balanced across all the hosts?
- Is there sufficient capacity in each AVD host pool?
- Who logged in, when and what applications did they use?
- Are any users taking up excessive resources and why?
2. Doesn't Microsoft's Azure Monitor allow you to monitor AVD services?
Yes, it does. Azure Monitor is very laborious to set up. The out of the box capabilities are limited. Administrators will not be able to get ready answers to the questions they have about AVD availability, user experience, usage and performance. Hence, the need for out of the box, specialized monitoring tools like eG Enterprise.
3. Is Microsoft AVD monitoring agent-based or agentless?
There are three aspects of Microsoft AVD monitoring. Synthetic monitoring is agent-less and is based on simulating user actions. Monitoring of the Azure account is agent-less using Azure APIs - this provides information on desktop pools, session hosts status, sessions and billing. Azure AD can also be monitored using these APIs and logs. Monitoring of session hosts is agent-based and provides details on real user experience, usage and performance of the session hosts.
4. Is there a separate agent for Microsoft AVD monitoring?
No. eG Enterprise's universal agent is capable of monitoring Microsoft AVD services.
5. How is AVD monitoring licensed?
Synthetic monitoring and monitoring of Azure services require an application license each. Monitoring of session hosts is based on the number of unique or concurrent users accessing the virtual desktop service. Speak to us
about your requirements.
6. To monitor Microsoft AVD, does the management system need to be hosted in the cloud?
No - what is required is that the agents deployed on Microsoft AVD session hosts should be able to communicate using SSL to an eG manager (whether it is in the cloud or on-premises).
7. What are the types of reports about AVD that eG Enterprise provides?
eG Enterprise provides targeted at different stakeholders across the organization. There are executive reports for management outlining where the performance bottlenecks lie, and operations reports that provide the detailed insights that IT admins need. Domain-specific reports for AVD provide all the details that administrators need for compliance reporting and infrastructure optimization. Reports on who logged in, at what times, which applications they accessed, resources they used and how their user experience was. Additionally, user active/idle times during a session are also tracked.
8. What ROI can be expected if I deploy a AVD monitoring solution?
Organizations can boost user satisfaction and productivity by reducing downtime and slowtime. IT support cost can be reduced and operational efficiency can be enhanced because problem diagnosis is streamlined, involves less finger-pointing and is more effective. Empirical insights also help with right-sizing, optimization and capacity planning as well.