Application-Independent My Dashboard
With eG Enterprise, you have the option to build a custom dashboard, using which you can graphically compare current and historical performance of multiple applications of interest to you. This dashboard not only allows you to choose the components to focus on, but also pick the measures and even descriptors that should be featured in it. By default, this dashboard capability is enabled. To build an application-independent custom dashboard therefore, click on the icon available in the Monitor tab and then select the My Dashboard option from the Dashboards section. To disable this capability, you need to do the following:
- Edit the [MULTISERVER_CUSTOM_DASHBOARD] section of the eg_ui.ini file in the <EG_INSTALL_DIR>\manager\config directory.
- By default, the ShowCustomDashboard flag is set to Yes. To disable the capability to view / modify / build new custom dashboards that are application-independent, switch off this flag by setting it to No.
- Finally, save the file.
- By default, the user who creates a dashboard is the only one who is authorized to view / modify / delete that dashboard.
- Users can create custom dashboards using only those components that are assigned to them for monitoring.
Follow the steps given below to understand the My Dashboard capability offered by eG Enterprise:
- Select My Dashboard from the Dashboards section that appears upon clicking the icon available against the Monitor tab.
If no dashboards pre-exist, then “No Dashboards available” message will appear (see Figure 1).
If multiple dashboards pre-exists, then the dashboard that was created soon after clicking the Add New button in Figure 1 will be set as the default dashboard.
If any dashboards pre-exists for the components that are being monitored, then, upon clicking icon, the AVAILABLE DASHBOARDS page will appear as shown in Figure 3. This page will display all the pre-existing dashboards as individual tiles. The eG Enterprise system automatically sorts these dashboards in the ascending order of their names while displaying the tiles. If other users to the eG Enterprise system have shared one/more dashboards that they created with you, then such dashboards will be displayed along the name of the user who shared the dashboard in paratheses. For example, if a dashboard named "Host Performance" was shared by a user named "Durga", then the dashboard will be represented as Host Performance (Durga).
If you want to list all the pre-exisiting dashboards, then you can click the icon. This will list the dashboards in ascending order as shown in Figure 4.
If other users to the eG Enterprise system have shared one/more dashboards that they created with you, then such dashboards will be listed in the Dashboards shared by other users section (see Figure 4). Besides listing the names of the shared dashboards, this section will also display (in the SHARED BY column) who shared each of the listed dashboards with you. Shared dashboards can only be viewed (not modified or deleted). To view a shared dashboard, click on the NAME of the dashboard, or click on the icon that corresponds to each dashboard.
- To view any of the existing dashboards, click on the icon corresponding to each dashboard in the AVAILABLE Dashboards page (see Figure 4). If you want to delete any of the listed dashboards, click the icon corresponding to each dashboard (see Figure 4). To remove all dashboards, select the check box that pre-fixes each dashboard, and then click the icon (see Figure 4). To search for a dashboard from the list of pre-existing dashboards, enter the name of the dashboard in the Search Dashboard text box and click the icon within (see Figure 4).
To publish any of the existing dashboards through Microsoft SharePoint to other users in your organization, click on the icon corresponding to each dashboard (see Figure 4). Figure 5 will then appear listing the Name and the Publish Url of the dashboard that is to be published.
Clicking the Publish button will help you publish the chosen dashboard. Once the dashboard is published, the icon will appear along with the Name of the dashboard as shown in Figure 6.
You can hover over this icon to view the Publish URL at any point of time. Likewise, you can unpublish a published dashboard by clicking the corresponding to each published dashboard. Figure 7 will then appear. Clicking the Unpublish button in the UNPUBLISH DASHBOARD pop up window will unpublish the dashboard.
When the dashboard is accessed through the Publish URL, the dashboard shows the time at which the dashboard was last updated. The displayed time will be in the time zone in which the user created the dashboard.
- eG Enterprise offers the flexibility to build real time business dashboards using the My Dashboards capability by obtaining data from various external sources like REST API, SQL queries, CSV, Microsoft EXCEL etc. For this purpose, a Data Source button is provided as shown in Figure 1.
To create a new dashboard, click on the Add New button in the AVAILABLE DASHBOARDS page (see Figure 1). This will lead you to Figure 8 where you can either choose to create a new dashboard on your own or create a dashboard based on a pre-defined template. To create a new dashboard on your own, click the CUSTOM DASHBOARD. If you wish to create a new dashboard based on a pre-defined template, click the ONE CLICK DASHBOARD.