The Need for Microsoft WVD Monitoring
Microsoft Windows Virtual Desktop is the most popular cloud-hosted virtual desktop service that organizations worldwide are adopting. WVD provides a number of features including multi-session Windows 10 experience, simplified management, optimizations for Office 365, support for Microsoft RDS and much more at a very affordable price.
For Microsoft WVD to become the preferred means of providing digital workspaces, it must be simple to monitor, diagnose and report on. Microsoft's Azure Monitor, the administration tool for WVD can be used for monitoring. However, setting up monitoring dashboards is tedious and time consuming and the web navigation is not intuitive. Hence, IT operations teams need a simple to use, purpose-built monitoring, diagnosis and analytics solution for Microsoft WVD.
Key Questions that Microsoft WVD Monitoring Must Address
Different IT stakeholders are involved in a Microsoft WVD deployment and each of them has different requirements for a monitoring solution:
- IT operations teams need to know the utilization levels of all the WVD session hosts. If any of the session hosts is unusually slow to respond or has high utilization, they need to determine which user/application is responsible.
- When helpdesk teams receive complaints from users about slow response, they need to be able to see quickly if there is a known problem affecting service performance. If the problem is specific to a user, they need to see within a user session and identify if there are any bottlenecks affecting session performance.
- IT architects take a long term view of performance and are interested in knowing if the load is balanced across all the session hosts, if a specific group of users is taking more resources than others, if specific applications are resource intensive, etc. They also need to determine how they can optimize the infrastructure for improved ROI.
- Executives are interested in tracking service levels being provided to users. They are also interested in the overall utilization of the service and whether users are satisfied with the service and productive.
eG Enterprise - The Most Complete User Experience Solution for Microsoft WVD
eG Enterprise is a purpose-built monitoring solution for digital workspaces. Its integration with Microsoft WVD allows IT administrators monitor and manage all aspects of user experience - from ensuring fast response to troubleshooting problems quickly and rapidly to proactively planning their deployments.
With eG Enterprise for Microsoft WVD, IT teams can:
- Monitor all aspects of user experience - logon time, application launch time, frame rate, connection bandwidth - using a combination of synthetic and real user monitoring.
- Get end-to-end visibility into the performance of all the IT tiers supporting Microsoft WVD including the Azure cloud infrastructure, network connectivity, virtual desktops, session hosts and host pools and the user endpoints.
- Be proactively and accurately alerted to the root-cause of problems using a combination of AIOps technologies including automatic baselining of metrics and intelligent dependency-based correlation rules.
- Obtain analytics and insights using which they can determine how to optimize the WVD infrastructure to accommodate more users and thereby deliver greater ROI for the organization.
Track the Experience of WVD Users
- Use the purpose-built WVD logon simulator to simulate user sessions and identify times when user logon is slow or not working.
- Simulate full user sessions with the eG Enterprise full session simulator. Provide insights that IT teams can use to evaluate compliance with SLAs. Identify if slowness is due to specific backend applications being accessed through WVD.
- Passively observe user activity on multi-user Windows desktops and report when slowness in application launches, application crashes or network connectivity issues are observed.
Get At-A-Glance Views of your WVD Environment
- No need to spend hours configuring dashboards and metrics to track. Pre-defined dashboards provide a consistent view of workspace workloads and performance. Monitor Citrix, VMware Horizon, AWS workspaces and WVD sessions from a single pane of glass.
- Get comprehensive monitoring of all WVD components - Azure account, Azure Active Directory, Host pools, Session hosts, etc. - from one single pane of glass.
- Get insights into all aspects of user activity - session logon, application launch, active/idle times, resources and bandwidth usage, session disconnections, logoffs, etc.
Pre-Built WVD Performance and Usage Reports for Compliance and Infrastructure Optimization
Historical reports provide WVD administrators with all the details they need for compliance reporting and infrastructure optimization.
- Report on who logged in, at what times, what application they accessed, what resources they used and how their experience was. Track active/idle times to report time periods when the user was not active.
- Monitor all aspects of resource usage on the session hosts. Identify bottlenecks including under-sized hosts, applications with resource usage issues, and users generating unusual activity on the shared hosts.
- Get insights to right-size and optimize the infrastructure to deliver better performance and to enhance the infrastructure to accommodate additional users.
Why eG Enterprise for Microsoft WVD Monitoring?
- eG Enterprise is the industry leading digital workspace monitoring solution. Built by digital workspace experts based on over a decade of experience with some of the largest virtual desktop deployments, eG Enterprise provides granular insights into VDI performance, like no other monitoring tool can.
- If you are using Microsoft WVD in conjunction with any other digital workspace solution, get the same capabilities, consistent reporting and alerting across these technologies. This makes the learning curve short for IT administrators.
- Leverage eG Enterprise SaaS to get started with Microsoft WVD monitoring in minutes. There is no infrastructure to provision, get started in minutes and pay per use.
eG Innovations has invested heavily in the digital workspace monitoring space so that you can deliver the best experience possible to your end users wherever they are and from whatever device they use. With a host of support for new features and products, user experience focused metrics, dashboard enhancements, new reports and more, eG Enterprise v7 is now uniquely positioned to address user experience challenges and performance problems.
- George Spiers , Citrix CTP, Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert
Why eG? One Monitor to Manage All of IT.
- eG Enterprise is the only single pane-of-glass, virtualization-aware, auto-diagnostic IT infrastructure performance monitor
- Gain actionable answers to performance issues, wherever they originate, from application code to bare metal
- Understand the impact of infrastructure issues on application performance and user experience
- Unify IT performance monitoring, alerting, diagnosing, reporting, and capacity planning in a single console
- Ensure a great user experience and dramatically improve IT efficiency
- Benefit from flexible deployment options (on-premises and SaaS) and IT monitoring approaches (agentless and agent-based)