eG Enterprise includes extensive built-in monitoring capabilities for a majority of off-the-shelf applications. However, in any realistic environment, one may encounter applications that are not supported by eG Enterprise. Moreover, administrators may prefer to extend eG’s built-in application models to suit their needs and preferences (e.g., to add specific tests from the model). This document is intended for users who want to customize and extend eG’s monitoring capabilities for their target environment.
To support these capabilities, eG Enterprise includes the Integration Console. This is a GUI-based component of the eG manager that allows users to add new servers for monitoring, include new layers for diagnosing specific components, and enhance eG’s measurement capability to expose additional information relating to the managed components.
The key features of the Integration Console are:
- Customized monitoring capabilities: Monitor new and custom applications or network elements. Modify eG’s built-in models to suit the specific requirements of the target infrastructure.
- Integrated, end-to-end monitoring: Monitor the entire target infrastructure; A single integrated interface from where out -of-the-box and custom applications can be monitored.
- Seamless integration: Custom applications or network elements are integrated into eG Enterprise in the same manner as out-of-the-box applications/network elements. Custom measurements can be made, thresholds computed, and the status of the custom applications can be displayed using eG’s web-based monitoring interface.
- Complete flexibility in the integration: Integrate a custom application/network element into eG Enterprise by choosing any approach that is suitable for the target application/network element. Simple, easy to use templates allow users to develop new monitoring capabilities by reading statistics logged into a file, using SNMP, by invoking application-specific APIs, using OS-level scripting, by accessing custom databases, etc.
- Auto-upgrade of the agents: No need to bother about manually updating all of the agents. Register the new application/network element to be monitored with the eG manager and have the agents automatically discover and implement the new monitoring capabilities, without needing any manual intervention!