eG Enterprise includes extensive built-in monitoring capabilities for a majority of off-the-shelf applications. However, in any realistic environment, one may encounter applications that are not supported by the eG products. Moreover, administrators may prefer to extend eG’s built-in application models to suit their needs and preferences (e.g., to add specific tests from the model). This chapter is intended for users who want to customize and extend eG’s monitoring capabilities for their target environment.
To support these capabilities, eG Enterprise includes the Integration Console. This is a GUI-based component of the eG manager that allows users to add new servers for monitoring, include new layers for diagnosing specific components, and enhance eG’s measurement capability to expose additional information relating to the managed components.
The key features of the Integration Console are:
- Customized monitoring capabilities: Monitor new and custom applications or network elements. Modify eG’s built-in models to suit the specific requirements of the target infrastructure.
- Integrated, end-to-end monitoring: Monitor the entire target infrastructure; A single integrated interface from where out -of-the-box and custom applications can be monitored.
- Seamless integration: Custom applications or network elements are integrated into the eG Enterprise system in the same manner as out-of-the-box applications/network elements. Custom measurements can be made, thresholds computed, and the status of the custom applications can be displayed using eG’s web-based monitoring interface.
- Complete flexibility in the integration: Integrate a custom application/network element into the eG Enterprise system by choosing any approach that is suitable for the target application/network element. Simple, easy to use templates allow users to develop new monitoring capabilities by reading statistics logged into a file, using SNMP, by invoking application-specific APIs, using OS-level scripting, by accessing custom databases, etc.
- Auto-upgrade of the agents: No need to bother about manually updating all of the agents. Register the new application/network element to be monitored with the eG manager and have the agents automatically discover and implement the new monitoring capabilities, without needing any manual intervention!
The eG Integration Console is a manager-side component, and is included as part of eG Enterprise. The system requirements for the Integration Console are the same as the requirements for the eG manager (i.e., the Integration Console does not have any special requirements).
The eG Integration Console is enabled as an optional component of the eG manager. To see if this capability is enabled for your target environment, login to the eG administration console. If you find an Integration Console tile, in the Admin tile menu, it is a clear indication that the manager’s license has the Integration Console option enabled.
This document elaborately discusses how the Integration Console plugin can be used to:
- Add new performance/configuration tests to the eG Enterprise system;
- Modify performance/configuration tests so added;
- Create new layers and associate new/existing tests with those layers;
- Configure a new component type and build a new layer model for that component type using new/existing layers;